Happy Friday everyone!!
With the passing of Canada’s anti-spam legislation (CASL) on July 1st, the Upper Grand School Board and schools have had to revisit their email policies and procedures. As a result, the board has needed to seek out parental consent to forward electronic mail, newsletters, board advertisements and event invitations, all of which may contain advertisements. Parents who have given their consent to receive these communications have had their email addresses included in a database, which is available to you as school staff, and here is how to access this information.
· Sign onto the the UGCloud website (www.ugcloud.ca)
· Scroll down to the other apps and services and click on the blue bar “Staff CASL Tool”
· Log in with your windows username and password
· Use the drop down menus to identify your school, class and format (Constant Contact, First Class or Email with CASL status) you are seeking.
· Click on Export
· This will create an excel file with all parents names and email addresses that you can use to contact families.
Although these additional steps will require a few more minutes of your time when you wish to email parents, it does ensure that we are complying with the new CASL requirements.
Finally, you should be checking this information EVERY time you wish to send out a newsletters or parental communication, as parents can revoke their consent at any time leaving us liable for fines upwards of $1 million to $10 million.
I hope this is a helpful tool when communicating with your students and families.
Have a great weekend!